About Me

Subscribe now!Feeds RSS

Friends

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Voice

1 comments

For as long as you can remember, you have been a pleaser, depending on others to give you an identity. You need not look at that only in a negative way. You wanted to give your heart to others, and you did so quickly and easily. But now you are being asked to let go of all these self-made props and trust that God is enough for you. You must stop being a pleaser and reclaim your identity as a free self. - Henri Nouwen

I’m a singer.

Or I was a singer. I have sang for as long as I can remember. I have sang in choirs, in the shower, in tiny rooms, in huge auditoriums, at school, and at church. I have done me a lot o’ singing.

One of the things that I always took pride in was my chameleon like vocal folds. No they didn’t change colors or spontaneously reproduce a new tail…I could make my voice fit any situation. Broadway (I’m leeeeeeaning on a lamp post at the corner of the street…), no problem. Show choir (jazz hands), done. Bono, of course. Contemporary Christian (You’re an angel waiting for wings), reluctantly yes.

It began with my 6 year old Michael Jackson impression and evolved as I was asked to cover different artists each Sunday morning for over six years.

The problem? I am not entirely sure what my own voice sounds like.

Comments
1 comments
Do you have any suggestions? Add your comment. Please don't spam!
Subscribe to my feed
Jordan Lane Shappell said...

you sound like michael w. smith....

love you brudder

Post a Comment