About Me

Subscribe now!Feeds RSS

Friends

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Listen up Thomas!

0 comments

I recently looked through my underlines and scribbles in Thomas Friedman’s bestselling book The World is Flat. I highlighted,

“There is something about post-World War II America that reminds me of the classic wealthy family that by the third generation starts to squander its wealth. The members of the first generation are nose-to-the-grindstone innovators; the second generation holds it all together; then their kids come along and get fat, dumb, and lazy and slowly squander it all.” (p. 252)

Oh Thomas.

I don’t like being called fat, dumb, and lazy. In addition you allude we are an ungrateful generation. I don't like that either.

I am grateful for the hard work of those who provide for me and do not judge those who have worked hard for their wealth. I am truly blessed by the tireless work of many.

And you know what else Mr. Smart Guy…I disagree with your analogy. It is not my obesity, laziness, and content suburban lifestyle that have led me to squander away my parents/grandparents hard earned money. It is that I am so full of luxury SUVs, designer jeans, and vacation homes that I am hopefully rebelling, living for something more than consumerism and the “American Dream”. Perhaps its just that my stomach is so full that it hurts…and the pain is leading me towards a life not defined by what I have but by what I give away. Perhaps I will not "squander" away the hard earned money of my for-fathers and mothers because I am lazy but because I believe there is more to life than my vocation and net-worth.

Sorry to go at you like that Tom. I just wanted to get that off my chest.

Comments
0 comments
Do you have any suggestions? Add your comment. Please don't spam!
Subscribe to my feed

Post a Comment