About Me

Subscribe now!Feeds RSS

Friends

Sunday, October 7, 2007

I Believe

2 comments


"It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops."
- Former MLB comissioner, Bartlett Giamatti

Before the Diamondbacks completed their improbable sweep of the Chicago Cubs, I was asked, "do you really think that the Cubs can win the whole thing?" I replied as any Cub fan would from day one of spring training, "Of course they can, and I truly believe they will."

I was wrong.

Today is a sad day and there is little that can be said...but that little is...

Say it with me now..."There's always next year."

Comments
2 comments
Do you have any suggestions? Add your comment. Please don't spam!
Subscribe to my feed
jeff mug said...

Hey Jarrod, I was torn when C Young hit the first pitch over the hallowed ivy covered walls of the cathedral of wrigley....I knew that you & Scott & Barb & a million other long-suffering Cubs fan were poised for disappointment once again...obviously I was happy that I would get to see more playoff baseball...but 100 years is a nice round number & next year is just around the corner.
On another note, when I got your e-mail last week with the link to your blog I went & read your blog & was amazed at the emotional vulnerability & spiritual depth. I read for a couple hours or so...there were several quotes that I wrote down...One went like this...not even sure you remember it or the circumstances surrounding it...WHERE YOUR TEARS FALL, THERE YOU FIND YOUR HOPES AND DREAMS...WOW Jarrod...That is right where I've been the last 3 years...I've never wept so much or so hard as I have over that time...that line has clarified why I've been so emotional...because currently my hopes & dreams are unfulfilled in many ways...so I weep over them, wanting to be once again in a place of dream fulfillment. But maybe this side of heaven we will always share tears of unfulfilled hopes & dreams...That's why heaven will be so great....& why there will be no tears in heaven...well, can't wait to see you next month. Much love to you & Tayrn. You're missed. JeffMug

Derrick Fudge said...

Jarrod, you are a much better Chicago fan than I ever was in my 9 years living there. When the cubs lost I thought "well, this is probably good. then they will try to really improve in the off-season, maybe get rid of Jacques Jones". I think I forgot to grieve. thank you for the reminder. For if we don't grieve we never learn to truly hope for something greater

Post a Comment