About Me

Subscribe now!Feeds RSS

Friends

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Thanks Phoenix

0 comments


I gained 4 pounds during my 10 days in Phoenix. And I will wear those 4 extra lbs as a badge of honor.

Due to a lack of exercise (why didn't we organize some ultimate frisbee?) and my former eating habits, I have a little extra belly as I return back to NYC. Why the belly? I had no time to exercise because each day was filled with meals and familiar faces. Each person I talked with, laughed with, ate with, and dunked on has played a significant part in making me who I am today.

Going home can be such a strange time. You are faced with your past. Who you used to be. How you've changed. How home has changed. Who you have become and where you are going. It all shows up. I believe our tendency is to ignore the profundity of going home. We prefer to pretend like everything is the same or that nothing has changed. We fear facing our past and the ethos and traditions that have shaped who we are today.

I am thankful that my fear and avoidance was met with love and kindness. Friends and family made my 11 days in Phoenix quite rewarding. I was reminded that I am not defined by what I do, but who I love and who loves me.

Those who attempt personal formation on their own, ignoring the past and present influence of others, are walking a dangerous line. I may have been straddling that line prior to our trip home.

Thanks Phoenix.

Comments
0 comments
Do you have any suggestions? Add your comment. Please don't spam!
Subscribe to my feed

Post a Comment